Dog Tips

Are Frogs Poisonous To Dogs?

While most backyard encounters with frogs are harmless, some species can be poisonous to dogs. Understanding the dangers and knowing what to do if your dog comes into contact with a toad is crucial for their safety.

Toad Poisoning in Dogs: A Serious Threat

The two main culprits for toad poisoning in dogs in North America are the Cane Toad (also called the giant or Bufo toad) and the Colorado River Toad (also known as the Sonoran Desert Toad). These toads secrete toxins from their skin glands as a defense mechanism when threatened. If your dog licks or eats one, they can become very sick.

Symptoms of Frog Poisoning:

  • Increased salivation

  • Foaming at the mouth

  • Vocalization (whimpering, yelping)

  • Pawing at the face or mouth

  • Disorientation, stumbling, or circling

  • Seizures

  • Difficulty breathing

If you notice any of these symptoms after your dog has been around frogs, take them to the vet immediately. Early intervention is crucial for a full recovery.

Are Backyard Frogs Poisonous to Dogs?

Not all frogs are poisonous to dogs. Many common backyard frog species, such as tree frogs, are unlikely to cause serious harm. However, they can still irritate your dog's mouth and eyes if licked or ingested. Signs of this irritation may include:

  • Excessive drooling

  • Pawing at the face

  • Mild vomiting

If you suspect your dog has licked a frog, flush their mouth with clean water for several minutes and contact your veterinarian for further advice.

Expert Insights From Spot:

Curious canines often get themselves into trouble by ingesting unexpected things. Spot's data reveals that the average cost of treating a dog for toxic ingestion is $662, with nearly 5,000 claims processed. This highlights the importance of keeping your dog on a leash and out of reach of potentially harmful objects, including frogs depending on the species. If you suspect your dog has ingested something poisonous, contact your veterinarian immediately. Learn more about how pet insurance works and discover if pet insurance is right for you.

What Happens if My Dog Eats a Frog?

The consequences of your dog eating a frog depend on the type of frog and the amount of toxins ingested.

  • Poisonous Toads (Cane Toad, Colorado River Toad): If your dog eats a poisonous toad, they can become very sick and require immediate veterinary attention. The toxins can affect their nervous system, heart, and blood vessels, leading to seizures, difficulty breathing, and even death.

  • Non-Poisonous Frogs (Tree Frogs): While not deadly, non-poisonous frogs can still irritate your dog's mouth and eyes. They may experience excessive drooling, pawing at the face, and mild vomiting.

Remember: When in doubt, always err on the side of caution and consult your veterinarian if you suspect your dog has ingested a frog.

Key Takeaways

Enjoying the outdoors with your dog is a great way to bond, but it's important to be aware of potential dangers. By familiarizing yourself with the types of frogs in your area and keeping an eye on your dog during walks, you can help prevent accidental poisoning and keep your furry friend safe. If you have any concerns about your dog's health after encountering a frog, don't hesitate to contact your veterinarian for professional advice.


  • American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

  • Veterinary Centers of America

  • UF, Florida Wildlife Frequently Asked Questions about Frogs and Toads

  • Pet Poison Helpline

Follow us on Instagram

Follow us everywhere else: