Dog Tips

Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms? A Guide to Safe vs. Toxic Varieties

While it might be tempting to share our love of mushrooms with canine companions, it's crucial to prioritize their safety. Understanding the complexities of mushroom toxicity in dogs is essential for responsible pet ownership.

Which Mushrooms Are Safe for Dogs?

A few commonly cultivated mushroom varieties are generally considered non-toxic for dogs. These include:

  • White Button Mushrooms

  • Cremini Mushrooms

  • Portobello Mushrooms

  • Shiitake Mushrooms

  • Maitake Mushrooms

  • Reishi Mushrooms

These mushrooms should be offered in moderation and only as occasional treats, they should not be a staple in your dog's diet. Always consult with your veterinarian before introducing new foods, especially if your dog has any underlying health conditions.

Benefits of Dog-Safe Mushrooms

When offered in moderation, these mushrooms can provide additional nutritional value to your pet. They offer:

  • Additional vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants

  • Fiber content that supports digestive health

  • Potential immune-boosting properties

Which Mushrooms Are Dangerous for Dogs?

Many wild and cultivated mushroom species pose severe toxicity risks to dogs. Some of the most dangerous include:

  • Amanita species (Death Caps, Destroying Angels)

  • Galerina species

  • Lepiota species

  • False Morels

  • Certain Inocybe and Clitocybe species

Ingestion of toxic mushrooms can lead to gastrointestinal distress, liver and kidney damage, neurological impairment, and even death. If you suspect your dog has consumed a wild mushroom, seek immediate veterinary attention.

Symptoms of Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs

Initial signs of mushroom toxicity might include:

More severe poisoning can manifest as:

  • Jaundice (yellowing of skin and eyes)

  • Seizures

  • Discolored urine

  • Coma

What Should I Do If My Dog Ate a Poisonous Mushroom?

If you suspect that your dog has ingested a poisonous mushroom, seek veterinary care immediately. Early treatment can help to prevent serious health complications and can save your dog's life.

Here are some steps you can take if your dog eats a poisonous mushroom:

  • Contact your vet: Call your vet or an animal poison control center as soon as possible. Provide as much information as you can about the mushroom your dog ingested, including the size, color, and shape of the mushroom, as well as the time of ingestion and any symptoms your dog may be experiencing.

  • Observe your dog: Keep a close eye on your dog and watch for any signs of illness or distress. Symptoms of mushroom poisoning in dogs can include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, abdominal pain, jaundice, seizures, and coma.

  • Do not induce vomiting: Do not try to induce vomiting in your dog unless directed to do so by a vet. In some cases, inducing vomiting can make the situation worse and cause further harm to your dog.

  • Bring a sample of the mushroom: If possible, bring a sample of the mushroom your dog ingested to the vet. This can help to identify the type of mushroom and determine the appropriate treatment.

  • Follow your vet's instructions: Your vet may recommend treatment options such as IV fluids, activated charcoal, anti-nausea medications, and supportive care. Follow your vet's instructions carefully and provide any necessary follow-up care or medication as directed.

It is important to note that prevention is the best way to protect your dog from mushroom poisoning. Keep your dog on a leash when out for walks, keep your yard free of mushrooms, and be vigilant when camping or hiking in areas where mushrooms may grow.

FAQ: Mushrooms and Dogs

  • Can my dog eat store-bought mushrooms? Generally, yes, stick to the varieties listed as safe. Always wash them thoroughly.

  • How much mushroom is toxic to dogs? Toxicity depends on the mushroom species, amount ingested, and the dog's size and health. Any amount of a potentially toxic mushroom warrants immediate veterinary consultation.

  • Can dogs eat cooked mushrooms? Cooking does not eliminate toxins from unsafe mushrooms. Never offer your dog wild mushrooms, even if they are cooked.

  • Which mushrooms are safe for dogs? Only the cultivated varieties listed earlier should be considered, and only with veterinary guidance.

  • Can dogs eat white mushrooms? White button mushrooms from the grocery store are generally safe in moderation.

Expert Insights From Spot

While it can be fun to share our favorite foods with our pets, pet parents should keep in mind that sometimes, eating human food can upset a pet's stomach. Spot's internal data shows that on average, claims for dietary indiscretions (pets eating too much of what they shouldn't) cost $572. This high cost highlights why pet parents should keep an eye on what their pets eat, and do their research before sharing their favorite snacks with their dogs. Being mindful of what treats we share with our pets can help keep them healthy while helping pet parents avoid unnecessary vet bills.


Mushroom safety for dogs is complex. A few common store-bought varieties are generally non-toxic, but many others pose serious risks. Never allow your dog to consume wild mushrooms. If mushroom poisoning is suspected, take your pet to the vet immediately. When in doubt, always prioritize your dog's health by choosing safe, dog-approved treats.

How can Spot Pet Insurance help?

Spot pet insurance can help cover the eligible costs of veterinary care if your dog ingests toxic mushrooms. The treatment for mushroom poisoning can be extensive and costly, especially if the dog requires hospitalization, supportive care, and monitoring for liver failure or other complications.

With a Spot policy for your dog, you have help getting peace of mind knowing that you have financial support in case of unexpected accidents and illnesses, including mushroom poisoning. Depending on your policy, pet insurance can help cover eligible veterinary expenses, including consultations, diagnostic tests, medications, hospitalization, and surgery.

Overall, pet insurance can be a valuable resource for dog owners, especially when it comes to unexpected emergencies like mushroom poisoning. With the right coverage in place, you can focus on providing the best care for your furry loved one without worrying about the financial burden.

Follow us on Instagram

Follow us everywhere else: