Pet Safety

Your Dog Ate an Edible? A Vet's Guide to Cannabis Poisoning in Dogs

Dogs are our beloved companions, but their curious nature can sometimes lead them into trouble. One such scenario is the accidental ingestion of edibles. So, what happens if your dog eats an edible? What are the signs of marijuana toxicity in dogs, and how can you help them?

Understanding THC Toxicity in Dogs

Edibles contain tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive compound in cannabis, which can significantly impact dogs. The effects can vary depending on the dog's size, breed, and the amount of THC consumed.

Common signs of THC toxicity or marijuana poisoning in dogs include:

  • Lethargy or drowsiness

  • Dilated pupils

  • Vomiting

  • Diarrhea

  • Loss of coordination (ataxia)

  • Excitement or anxiety

  • In severe cases: Seizures, coma, or even death

Dr. Justine Lee, DVM, notes an increase in accidental marijuana exposure cases in pets, emphasizing the need for pet owners to know how to react. While severe cases can be life-threatening, the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) states that most dogs recover fully from cannabis poisoning.

Emergency Steps if Your Dog Eats an Edible

If your dog has consumed an edible, act quickly:

  1. Stay Calm and Assess: Evaluate the situation and your dog's condition. Look for any signs of THC toxicity.

  2. Contact Your Vet Immediately: Call your veterinarian or a pet poison control center. Provide details about the edible, the amount ingested, and the time of ingestion.

  3. Do Not Induce Vomiting: Inducing vomiting can worsen the situation. Follow your vet's instructions carefully.

  4. Transport Your Dog: If advised, take your dog to the veterinary clinic safely.

  5. Monitor Closely: Stay informed about your dog's condition and follow your vet's recommendations.

Expert Insights from Spot

According to Spot's internal data, THC toxicity claims are infrequent, making up less than 1% of pet insurance claim submissions. The average treatment cost is $308, 20% less than the average Spot claim. Need more info? Watch our video on what to do if your dog eats an edible.

Preventing Marijuana Toxicity in Dogs

The best way to protect your pet is by storing edibles securely, out of their reach. Choose childproof containers and place with within cabinets or drawers your pet cannot access.

FAQs About Dogs and Edibles

  • How long does it take for a dog to show signs of THC poisoning? Signs can appear within 30 minutes to an hour, but this can vary depending on the amount consumed and your dog's metabolism.

  • What do I do if my dog ate my edibles? Contact your veterinarian or an animal poison control center immediately. Do not try to induce vomiting.

  • How long does it take for a dog to recover from edibles? Most dogs recover within 24-48 hours, but severe cases may take longer.

  • What happens if a dog eats CBD gummies? While CBD is generally considered less toxic than THC, large amounts can still cause lethargy, vomiting, and diarrhea in dogs. It's best to consult your veterinarian for advice.

Key Takeaways

While the ingestion of edibles can be scary, swift action and proper care can ensure your dog's recovery. By being informed and taking preventive measures, you can safeguard your canine companion's health and happiness. Remember, Spot Pet Insurance offers customizable plans for both accidents and illnesses, providing peace of mind for pet parents. Get a quote today!


Follow us on Instagram

Follow us everywhere else: